It's time for RAWsome Friday once again, and today we're talking about a super food that brings amazing health benefits.
Hemp seeds (or also called hemp hearts) are an amazing source of energy, and protein. They will keep you bright-eyed and feeling amazing for the day!
Healingsource.com mentions how hemp seeds are a great food to help lower blood cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and helps to improve the immune system. Thanks to Nahhaniriverherbs.com, there is a great list of some of the health benefits of hemp hearts:
- Contains more required amino acids (proteins) than milk, meat or eggs.
- Is a complete protein rich source, much more balanced and digestible than Soy products.
- Contains about 47% oil, 78% of which is omega 3 and 6 , the essential fats.
- Has all the essential or omega fats required for human health.
- Contains several times more omega 3 essential fat than any fish.
- Provides more energy than energy bars, without their sugar and with much less saturated fat.
- They are suitable for those unable to eat gluten, sugar, nuts, and meat.
- Excellent for those troubled with constipation.
- Perfect for those avoiding carbohydrates.
- A 42 g serving (4 tbsp) contains 240 calorie energy from 15 g protein,15 g polyunsaturated fats (11.4 g omega 6 and 3.6 g omega 3), 2.7 g mono-unsaturated fats, 2.1 g saturated fats, 2.5 g fiber, 4.5 g carbohydrates,
- 2 mg iron, 31 mg calcium, 3.8 mg sodium, 3.8 mg vitamin E, 956 IU vitamin D, .42 mg vitamin C, .05 mg B6, .58 mg vitamin B1, 1.6 IU vitamin A.
The Health Nutty Professor has had Hemp Hearts each morning on steel cut oats for 2 weeks straight. I kid you not, it has a wonderful nutty taste, has given me more energy, and has made my skin and hair look the best it has in years! I love this stuff! The downside: it is a little pricey. But sometimes you can find it on sale.
I purchased the Nutiva brand because: 1. I love Nutiva stuff. 2. It's cheaper than most other brands, for the same great quality. 3. It's cheaper (and I believe, better for you) than meat.
Wanna give 'em a try? You can purchase them in most health food sections at the grocery store.
Don't have time to shop? Grab them, HERE.
Keep it Raw!