Tuesday 11 June 2013

Ta-ta Tampons! (male discretion advised)

When I was about 7 months pregnant, I found out I was positive for Group B Streptococcus (GBS). I had a urinary tract infection (UTI) in the beginning of my pregnancy, which apparently contributes to GBS. After my test results came back positive, I came home and did what I love to do......research.

GROUP B STREPTOCOCCUS:  is "carried in your intestines and lower genital tract" (mayoclinic.com).

GBS is an infection (seems very common these days) that is normally harmless in healthy adults, but in rare cases it can be fatal if passed to a baby during delivery. Maybe you're already familiar with it, since up to 40% of women have it. But if you'd like to know more, check out the article from the Mayoclinic, HERE.

As a woman who wanted a completely natural birth, I dreaded having an IV. But antibiotics were said to prevent our son, Oliver from contracting GBS. It seemed like the best thing to do.

It wasn't until later that I thought to myself..... what if GBS could have been prevented in the first place?

BUILD IMMUNITY: Birthwellness.com wrote an incredible article on reducing the colonization of GBS by building up immunity, taking acidophilis, and probiotics to bring back healthy bacteria. Leafy greens, plenty of pure drinking water, fermented foods, eliminating sugars and processed foods are all beneficial. The article also recommends the best natural treatment for GBS if tested positive, and how to avoid antibiotics. If I only I had known this sooner!

I also came across research that linked tampon use to GBS.

USE OF TAMPONS: More research told me that the use of tampons was a breeding ground of bacteria and may be a major contributor to GBS. In the 1960's when tampons became more popular, there was a huge increase in GBS in women. Based on a study posted on the National Institute of Health, those that didn't use tampons reduced their chances by 34% (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov).

As a result, there ARE ways to restore a healthy intestinal and vaginal flora, and there are also ways we CAN help prevent GBS.  Yet, I was freaked out (and grossed out) by the research I was finding on tampon use.

Did you know that the average woman will use about 16,800 tampons in her lifetime? (mercola.com).
Dr. Mercola discusses how the ingredients in tampons are absorbed into the blood stream, and are a "breeding ground for bacteria."     Makes sense, right? 

He mentions BPA, Phalates, and oil plastics are suspected chemicals in tampons. Yet, companies don't seem to want to tell us what's in them. Why?

It made me think twice about what I was putting in my body. At least I could find an alternative, and reduce the use of bleached, toxic products. It was time for a healthier option.

Ta-ta tampons!

Not only do I want to reduce my chances of GBS coming back, but choosing an environmentally friendly option. I also want to reduce my chance of Toxic Shock Syndrome (women die from this, every year).

THERE'S A HEALTHIER, CHEAPER OPTION

 Ever heard of The Diva Cup? 

It's a menstrual cup that is free of BPA, latex, and other chemicals. It lasts twice as long as a tampon, and it's reusable.




Model 1 is for women under 30, that have never had a baby.

Model 2 is for women over 30, or those that have had a baby vaginally or by c-section.

PURCHASE THE DIVA CUP HERE! 
It may just be the best $40 you've spent in a long time.

More questions? Check out: http://divacup.ca/

Thanks for hearing me out on my journey, I hope that it will help someone that comes across the article. It is information I wish I had before our baby came along!

Cheers, and stay healthy!


 Check out the article from Birthwellness, HERE.

Check out: What's Really In Feminine Hygiene Products by Dr. MercolaHERE.



References

www.babycenter.com

http://sogc.org/publications/group-b-streptococcus-gbs-infection-in-pregnancy/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/group-b-strep/DS01107

http://www.birthwellness.com/page7/assets/Group%20B%20Strep.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1442772/?page=1

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/22/feminine-hygiene-products.aspx

3 comments:

  1. I was just looking at reviews for diva cups today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using cloth pads for about 7 years now. They work really well, they are environmentally and economically friendly :). Plus, the transition to using cloth diapers was just a given after making the switch to cloth pads. Same went for the nursing pads.
    There are some great options out there! Thanks for discussing Jaimie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it depends on what kind of tampons are you using. I've been using it for years and I am still healthy as for my doctors advice, as a woman, we need to track our red blood cell since when we have our monthly period, we often looses red blood cells and it is wise to have some supplement such as ferros sulfate together even like this good l-arginine supplement benefits I found from Mercola that might help a woman like me to maintain a good blood flow within my body.

    ReplyDelete