While you have a few days off (and hopefully going to church), treat your friends and fam with a healthier dessert. Aren't we stuffed enough after a family dinner? Why not bring these bite-sized goodies to the table for a change?
RAW, Cinnamon Blueberry Torte. Did I mention they're vegan?
The health benefits of blueberries: They have one of the highest antioxidant counts compared to other fresh fruits, and they are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and even zinc (womensfitness.net). They aid in digestion, and help restore the health of the central nervous system (livestrong.com). Amazing stuff!
Blueberries have been shown to help urinary tract infections, and may even influence fertility! Ultimately...they are a great snack that will satisfy your sweet tooth! Check out the GIANT list of other benefits at Livestrong.com.
Medjool dates are deelish, and have amazing health benefits as well. Check out The Health Nutty Professor's article on Medjool dates, HERE.
So bust out that apron, and get some of these tortes in your piehole!
Cinnamon Blueberry Torte(adapted from:
Ingredients for Cinnamon Pastry:
1/2 cup medjool dates
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp filtered water
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup blueberries or any other fruit
13 blueberries for topping
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp raw blue agave nectar
1) Process dates in the food processor, add water if it's too dry.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients.
3) Using a tablespoon, form each into a shell with your hands, then place it on a nice plate.
1) Blend all ingredients until smooth.
2) Spoon Jelly by teaspoon (or more if you'd like) into the cinnamon tart shells, and top with a fresh blueberry or piece of fruit.
Happy Easter, all you health nuts!